February 9, 2009

First Blog

Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma

First time blog. Man, am I behind the times...

I'll tell ya folks, I have gotten to the point that it just hurts. Children are being diagnosed daily with a DIPG and yet it seems very little is being done about it. This cancer strikes between 150-200 kids a year in the United States and has no known cause and no known cure. It usually effects children in their first decade of life and on average, a child can expect to survive no more than two years from diagnosis.

What is being done about it? Very little. The government does not allocate near enough money to research. There are some groups/foundations out there that are trying to make a difference, that are trying to help families. Most have been started by people where their children were directly affected by this ugly monster. Sadly, it is not even close. We need a major shift in awareness!

I will be touching on many subjects in the coming months. Most of the posts will be in support of other foundations and legislative issues but I will also state my observations as I see them.

It is my goal to bring an awareness to the public for the children that rivals the Susan B Komen Foundation. I desire to help and assist families of children with a DIPG that may find this blog.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for being here. It is hard to find a support group that can give the knowlede you have about DIPG's. I am so glad you are here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are doing an excellent job. and I CARE TOO.

    just know i stand beside you fighting. i stand beside ICBYC. thats forever.
    dats how i roll...

    gunner and aimee's dari
    did i mention forever.


    dari mcmanus

    ReplyDelete

Custom Search